Saturday, January 27, 2007

Canadian Graffiti

We were in Toronto and Buffalo the other day, meeting with customers and technology partners. Midway between Guelph and Buffalo, still on the Canadian side of the border, something amazing happened when we stopped at a rest stop: I had my first encounter with socially-responsible graffiti.

I’m not making this up. The graffiti, scrawled in large, easy-to-read letters with a blue pen, read “Attention Daylight Drivers - Please turn on your headlights so we can see you better.”

I waited for the punchline to kick in, but it didn’t. I tried a few anagrams, then tried seeing if the first letters of each word added up to something offensive. It didn’t. As far as I can tell, what I saw was what it was - someone doing some good in the world through graffiti. Wonderful.

No comments: